Drawing, drawing and drawing some more. Or writing stories. That is how it started.
After ‘A’ levels, Foundation course and later, a ‘Graphic Design’ BA (HONS) degree, I worked as a successful designer and art director in London. I was a former art editor for a variety of leading publishing houses, including Vogue at Conde Nast. Whilst at Dr Foster, I pioneered the use of behaviour-led campaigns in the NHS, to make a genuine connection with a specific audience. In 2007, I was the launch art editor of NHS Choices (www.nhs.uk) and also art directed an award-winning programme aimed at people who are digitally excluded.
I’ve worked with many high profile clients initiating concepts for magazine launches, rebranding the iconic Roundhouse art centre and have lectured and delivered projects for the Design Museum. Developing ideas and strategy to bring messages alive, with depth and a genuine desire to transform.
As a creative who writes, I have the tools to tell emotional stories or elevate the ordinary. I call them ‘visual conversations’. They can have the power to change narratives and bridge divides. My background in editorial launches gives me a unique understanding of the importance of establishing a visual hierachy of information, that takes the viewer by the hand.
Passionate about motivating young people, I have also been a visiting lecturer at London art colleges for over thirteen years, and recently led on ‘Social marketing’ on the Journalism B.A course at UWE, Bristol. I also maintain my own art practise, and am currently working on a series of prints on wood.
I enjoy working remotely for clients in London and Bristol. My work studio sits on the land and creaks its way through the seasons. Crucially, although the scenery has changed, my broadband signal stays strong.
(With thanks to the beautiful man, Jon Daniel, for the photo)
I’ve worked with many designers over the years and Alison is one of the best.
She has that rare combination of being great with words as well as visuals, which makes her concepts really stand out.
Alison has a very intelligent approach to design, does her research, and her work taps into what makes the end user tick.Gita Mendis | Creative Director | ZPB Associates
- Museums and heritage | Design Museum | Epping Forest visitors centre | Roundhouse arts centre
- Healthcare | Dr. Foster | Department of Health | Health Development Agency | ZPB Associates
- Editorial and lifestyle | Vogue | Bloomsbury Press | City Limits | Little Brown books | Options | BBC | IPC Publishing | British Council
- Agencies | SapientNitro | Thinkfarm | Codsteaks | Colman Getty
- Local authorities | Behaviour-led campaigns | Neighbourhood Development Plans
- Not-for-profit | Global Witness | Panos
- 2012/2014 Artist Open Studios, Forest of Dean
- Exhibited at the Tobacco Factory, Bristol, celebrating 50 years of Amnesty International
- Art activist for local campaign group, FANS. Creative copywriting and design
- Completed Level One in Clinical Hypnotherapy diploma
- Completed Mindfulness Foundation course, led by Michael Chaskalson, one of Europe’s leading mindfulness trainers. www.michaelchaskalson.com
- Volunteer at Spare Rib magazine. Illustrations now part of digital archival project held at the British Museum
- Studied furniture design at the London College of Furniture